How to use SD card as internal storage on Android?
Configuring your SD card to behave as the internal storage on Android is a simple process. Please note that your SD card would get formatted during the process, do remember to backup your data.
It might be possible that the Adoptable Storage feature is not present on your device even if it is running Android 6.0 and above. The device manufacturer may have disabled the feature. However, command-line methods exist which allow you to force a device to adopt a storage.
Here are the steps to adopt your SD card:
1. Put the SD card on your Android phone and wait for it to get detected.
2. Now, open Settings.
3. Scroll down and go to the Storage section.
4. Tap the name of your SD card.
5. Tap the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen.
6. Tap Storage Settings.
7. Choose format as internal option.
8. On next screen, you have the final chance to decide whether you want to change your mind. Tap Erase &; Format if you want to format your SD card as internal storage.
9. You will be notified if Android finds that your SD card is slow. Tap OK to continue.
10. You can start the data migration process now or do it a later stage.
11. Tap Done to finish storage adoption process for your SD card.
Conclusion: After the format process completes, you have the freedom to use your removable SD card as a ‘somewhat’ permanent storage. But keep in mind, it’s not hot swappable like the portable SD cards. So, don’t remove it without using the Eject option. Moreover, you can practically remove the adopted storage but it is not recommended as it may cause errors on the device.
‘Share your thoughts in the comments.’